All aspects of land law and conveyancing law, and landlord and tenant law. Particular expertise in relation to land registration, conveyancing matters, rivers and the seabed.
- Downing College, Cambridge.
- B.A. (1975) (Starred double first class honours).
- LL.B. (1977) (Starred first class honours, Chancellors Medal for English Law).
- M.A. (1979).
- LLD (2003) Cambridge.
- Called, 1976 (Hardwicke and Cassel Scholarships, Buchanan Prize).
- Bencher of Lincoln's Inn, 2001.
- Fellow of Downing College, Cambridge, 1977-2001; Emeritus Fellow, 2001-
- Lawyer member of the Cambs, Chilterns & Thames Rent Assessment Committee 1987-1997.
- Law Commissioner for England and Wales (Head of Property and Trust Law Team) 1994-2001.
- As Law Commissioner responsible for the work that led to the Land Registration Act 1997, the Trustee Act 2000 and the Land Registration Bill presently before Parliament. Involved in the preparation for, and the passage through Parliament of, the Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995, and also undertook work on perpetuities and accumulations and leasehold repairs.
- Acted as consultant to HM Land Registry during the passage of the Land Registration Bill through Parliament.
- Assisted the Ministry of Justice with the Perpetuities and Accumulations Act 2009.
- Lynn Shellfish Limited v Loose  UKSC 14 (Supreme Court; several fishery, sandbanks and accretion)
- Page v Convoy Investments Limited  EWCA Civ 1061 (Court of Appeal, boundaries and rights of way)
- Bank of Scotland Plc v Joseph  1 P & CR p 302 (Court of Appeal, registered land, charges and liens)
- Port of London Authority v Tower Bridge Yacht & Boat Co Ltd  EWHC 3084 (Ch) (ancient moorings in the Thames)
- Rosebery Ltd v Rocklee Ltd  L & TR 21 (extent of upward demise of top floor flat)
- Hermann v Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea  EWHC 1706 (Ch) (whether there was a statutory right to use a garden in a London square)
- Port of London Authority v Ashmore  EWCA Civ 30 (Court of Appeal, adverse possession of tidal river bed)
- Roberts v Swangrove Estates Limited  2 P & CR 326 (adverse possession of bed of tidal river)
- Kent v Kavanagh  Ch 1 (Court of Appeal, easements)
- Eurodis Electron plc v Unicomp Inc  EWHC 979 (Ch) (guarantees)
- Castlegroom Ltd v Enoch  2 EGLR 54 (leasehold enfranchisement)
- Orchard Trading Estate Management Ltd v Johnson Security Ltd  2 EGLR 1 (Court of Appeal, estate rentcharges)
- "Registered Land - Law and Practice under the Land Registration Act 2002" -Charles Harpum and Janet Bignell (2004) (Jordans).
- "Registered Land The New Law: A Guide to the Land Registration Act 2002" - Charles Harpum and Janet Bignell.
- Megarry & Wade's Law of Real Property (7th edition, 2008).
- Numerous articles on land law, conveyancing and trust law, several of which have been cited judicially.