“The Legal 500 has commented that clients seek out Wayne for “QC level advice”.
Wayne is known for his vast legal experience and knowledge and has been said to be a “prolific writer” of leading works in his field. He is also known to be very skilled and effective at cross examining experts of any discipline. Wayne provides an immense amount of advisory work in addition to his litigation practice
His practice embraces all aspects of real property law, although principally relating to commercial property disputes. In particular:
- He is well known for his advice on business tenancies of which he is the co-author with Kirk Reynolds QC of the leading work, Renewal of Business Tenancies Law and Practice 5th ed (December 2016).
- Wayne is a leading light on the telecoms code, his seminal paper as part of the Blundell Lecture series in 2011 on the old telecoms code being cited at length in the Law Commission’s consultation paper which ultimately led to the implementation of the New Code in 2017. He has collaborated with several others in Chambers to author the work on the New Code, The Electronic Communications Code and Property Law (2019). He was given the lead legal slot at the annual RICS Telecoms Forum. He has been in several of the reported decisions and having had the good fortune of being in the first case under the New Code to come before the Upper Tribunal.
- He also undertakes both mortgage and receivership related work, particularly with respect to priority disputes, being the editor of the well-known and established book on mortgages, Fisher and Lightwood’s Law of Mortgage, 15th ed (2019).
- Wayne’s practice also covers easements (including rights of light disputes) and restrictive covenant disputes with respect to their interpretation, enforcement and their modification or discharge.
- vendor and purchaser disputes
- land registration, including: registered dispositions; priorities, notices and restrictions; alteration and rectification of the register rent reviews
- tenants’ rights of first refusal (of which, again, Wayne is a co-author of yet another leading work in the field, Tenants’ Rights of First Refusal, with Anthony Radevsky of Chambers) (3rd edition, 2017)
- He undertakes a substantial amount of work on development, joint venture and overage agreements
- property related professional negligence.
- Professional Called 1982, Middle Temple
- Swailes v Cassain (2019) (specific performance obtained of agreement for sale)
- CTIL v Compton Beauchamp Estates (2019) (para 20 and consideration/compensation under paragraph 24 of the New Code)
- CTIL v University of London (2018) (paragraph 20 and 26 of the New Code)
- Royal London Borough of Greenwich v Vofafone (2018) (claim under para 20 of New Code for rooftop space on residential block)
- CTIL v LTH (Praed Street) Ltd (2018)(para 26 claim for interim rights---first case before the Upper Tribunal on the New Code)
- Questpit v Hanson (2018)(successfully resisting enforcement of restrictive covenants)
- UBMG Ltd vA&M Leisure (2018) (summary judgment under s.30(1)(f) in relation to major redevelopment at Southbank, London)
- Morrison Supermarkets v Sainsburys Supermarket (2018) (single or double compensation under 1954 Act—meaning of “successor to business”)
- Cable &Wireless UK v Carmel Southend Ltd (2017)(renewal of telecommunications base station)
- Castle Heights Ltd v Eagle (2017) (successfully resisting injunction claim by L against T for alleged breach)
- Elmbridge BC v Walton & Hersham FC (2017) (successful claim to oppose tenancy in reliance on intention to demolish)
- Farnborough Park Estate v Milutinovic (2017)(restrictive covenants )
- Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead v Nene Overland (2017)(periodic tenancies and proprietary estoppel)
- Garnier v Dow Properties (2017) (successful opposition to landlord’s opposition under s.30(1)(f) of the 1954 Act on basis that L had no bona fide intention)
- Odey Asset Management v Teleford (2016) (rent and break clauses under 1954 Act)
- Chetwynd v Tunmore (2016) (claim for damages to commercial fishery in nuisance, negligence and under the Waters Resources Act arising from excavation of adjoining land)
- Blackwell v Bailey (2016) (whether use of house breach of restrictive covenant not to carry on business)
- Santander UK Ltd v Keystone Holdings Ltd (2016)(summary judgment under ground (f))
- The Electronic Communications Code and Property Law (2019)
- Tenants' Right of First Refusal, 3rd edition (2017)
- Contributor to Charging Orders, Law and Practice (2013)
- Renewal of Business Tenancies Law and Practice, 5th ed (2017)
- Co-ordinating editor and contributor to Fisher & Lightwood's Law of Mortgage, 14th edition. (2014).
- Contributor to Hill & Redman's Law of Landlord and Tenant.