Ashpen practises in all areas of real property and landlord and tenant law, both commercial and residential. Ashpen has a busy advisory practice and regularly appears in the County Court, First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber), and High Court.
Ashpen’s recent cases and advisory matters have included the following areas:
- Commercial landlord and tenant, including forfeiture, dilapidations, and renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954
- Residential landlord and tenant, including possession proceedings, tenancy deposit claims, and service charge disputes
- Enfranchisement and lease extensions
- Easements and restrictive covenants
- Rights to light
- Adverse possession, trespass, and boundary disputes
- Professional negligence, particularly on the part of conveyancing solicitors
- Rent Review
- Guarantees and indemnities
- Vesting orders
- BCL, Trinity College, University of Oxford – Distinction (3rd in year)
- BA Law, Downing College, University of Cambridge – Double First Class
- Vinerian Scholarship Proxime Accessit (University of Oxford, 2019)
- John Gardner Prize for the best performance in Philosophical Foundations of the Common Law (University of Oxford, 2019)
- Foundation Scholarship and Senior Harris Scholarship (Downing College 2018)
- Rebecca Flower Squire Scholarship (University of Cambridge, 2016, 2017)
- John H Morrison OBE Prize (Downing College, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Platt Prize for Especial Distinction (2nd in year for Part 1A) (Downing College, 2016)
- BPTC, BPP – Outstanding
- Prince of Wales Scholarship (Gray’s Inn, 2020)
- Eldon Law Scholarship for the most promising Oxford graduate intending to practise at the Bar (University of Oxford, 2020)
- Member of the Property Bar Association and the Chancery Bar Association
- The Landlord & Tenant Act 1954: end of an era? NLJ 2023, 173(8022), 11-12. See this article here.
- Cohabitee disputes: unconscionability without detriment, NLJ 2022, 172(7977), 9-10. See this article here.
- Flat refusals: how not to alter EG 2021, 2149, 55. See this article here.