Gavin Bennison practises in all areas of residential, agricultural and commercial property law. He has developed a busy court and advisory practice at both first instance and appellate level. He particularly enjoys dealing with rural and agricultural matters, or any dispute with an historical dimension, and was ranked as the sole ‘Rising Star’ in Agriculture by the Legal 500 in 2022 and 2023.
Gavin’s recent cases have related to the following areas:
- Agricultural landlord and tenant, and partnership law, including a wide range of court-based and arbitral proceedings concerning both agricultural holdings and farm business tenancies;
- Residential landlord and tenant law, including statutory tenancies under the Rent Act 1977 and residential occupation in the agricultural sphere: the Rent (Agriculture) Act 1986, assured agricultural occupancies, and service occupancies;
- Corporate dissolution, disclaimer and escheat, including obtaining vesting orders under the Insolvency Act 1986, Companies Act 2006 and Trustee Act 1925;
- Adverse possession of both registered and unregistered land;
- Proprietary estoppel and co-ownership disputes;
- Easements, public rights of way, and highways disputes;
- Restrictive covenants, including challenges to the reasonableness of decision-making;
- Land registration and priorities disputes;
- Riparian rights, watercourses, drainage and the law of private nuisance in relation to floodwater.
Gavin also writes regularly for legal periodicals and delivers talks and training on a wide range of property law matters.
‘Gavin is extremely client-friendly. He puts forward persuasive arguments, and consistently provides clear and well-considered advice. ’Legal 500 2023
‘ For a junior of this level of call, incredible maturity, good in conference, and very good on paper. Also able in court. ’Legal 500 2022More published comments