Paul’s practice is primarily property based, with four main specialisms: (1) leasehold reform (enfranchisement) claims, including 1967 and 1993 Act work (2) landlord & tenant, both residential and commercial including service charge disputes, breach of covenant, forfeiture and Right to Manage claims (3) real property often comprising adverse possession and s.84 restrictive covenant applications (4) construction including extensive experience of cladding and NHBC related building defect claims, Party Wall Act matters and s.106 planning disputes, plus some international work, particularly work from Gibraltar.
He regularly appears in the Business & Property Courts (Chancery) and Upper Tribunal (Land Chamber), and has extensive experience of each of the Residential Property, Land Registration and Agricultural Land and Drainage First-tier Tribunals. Given the breadth and legally complex nature of his work Paul also undertakes a range of appellate work in the UT, CA and above, including the Privy Council.
Notable recent cases include Malik v Malik (Ch Appeal), the scope and effect of the Covid automatic stay; Vale Court (Freehold) v Carey-Morgan (CLCC), nominee purchaser’s claims for breach of trust and fiduciary duty; Patrick v Thornham PC (UT), general boundary rule and estoppel; Docklock v Christo & Co (Ch) accounts & inquiry, quantum meruit and Re L principles on setting aside judgments; Dunleavy & Ors v NHBC Building Control Services Ltd (CA), liability of Approved Inspectors under DPA 1972; Fredricksson v Laurie House RTM (CLCC), disrepair and specific performance; Mayhew v O’Connor (FtT (LReg)) adverse possession; and Probitas v Sandilands (CLCC) developer’s claim for prescriptive rights of way.
Other notable appellate cases include Natt v Osman (validity of non-compliant Initial Notice) and Quilter v HDL (subsequent events and measure of damages) and Thevarajah v Riordan (SC), relief from sanctions under CPR 3.9; and, Crew v London & Continental (UT), adverse possession and date of knowledge. Current litigation includes AC v Gracestone (A&I against managing agent), Judicial Review claim in £100m s106A application and multiple cladding and fire safety defects cases.
- BSc (Civil Engineering) Nottingham University
- Chancery Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- TECBAR (former committee member and editor of the Tecbar Review)
- Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards: Barrister of the Year 2018.
- Docklock Ltd v C Christo & Co Limited
- Patrick v Thornham Parish Council
- Herons Court, the Lessees And Management Company of v Heronslea Ltd & Ors
- Adams & Anor v Sherwood & Ors Re: Fermyn Wood
- Crown Estate Commissioners v Whitehall Court London Ltd
- Bedford Court Mansions Ltd v Ribiere
- Quilter V Hodson Development Ltd
- Salekipour & Anor v Parmar
- Herskovic v Gratero Trading Limited
- Thevarajah v Riordan & Ors
- Curzon v Wolstenholme & Ors
- Natt & Anor v Osman & Anor
- Christoforou & Anor v Standard Apartments Ltd
- Salekipour v Parmar & Ors
- (1) Sabrina Soon Duck Park Kim (2) Jai Kyung Kim v Chasewood Park Residents Ltd
- Edwards & Walkden (Norfolk) Ltd & Ors v Mayor & Commonalty & Citizens of City of London
- Avocet Industrial Estates LLP v (1) Merol Ltd (2) Tudor Rose International Ltd
- O'Connor v Piccott & Anor (Jamaica)
- Goldeagle Properties Ltd v Thornbury Court Ltd
- James Martin Scobie & Ors v Fairview Land Ltd
- Hildron Finance Ltd v Greenhill Hampstead Ltd sub nom 1 - 138 Greenhill, Prince Arthur Road, London NW3 5TY (2008)
- Sumukan Ltd v. Commonwealth Secretariat
- Iggleden and Iggleden v. Fairview New Homes (Shooters Hill) Ltd
- Tavoulareas v. Lau and Anor
- Newman (t/a Newman Associates) v. Wenden Properties Ltd and S Newman Consultants (a firm)
- Earle v. Charalambous
- Monavon Construction Ltd v. Davenport and Davenport
- Dolphin Quays Development Ltd (in administrative receivership) v. Mills
- EQ Projects Ltd v. Alavi (t/a Merc London)
- R (on the application of Sinclair Gardens Investments (Kensington) Limited) v. Lands Tribunal, da Graca and O'Keefe
- Fisherman & Friends of the Sea v. Environment Management Authority and BP Trinidad & Tobago LLC
- Hodson Developments Ltd v. GTA Civils and Graham Whitehouse Practice
- Williams v. The State.
Publications & Lectures
- Blundell Lectures 2021: Fire Safety Defects & Liability
- PLA Lectures 2021: The Building Safety Bill
- RICS – ISurv Surveyors Negligence Updater
- L&T Review: Regular Contributor
- Can they sell the Libraries? New Law Journal