Paul’s practice is primarily property based, with four main specialisms: (1) leasehold reform (enfranchisement) claims, some 1967 Act work but mainly under the 1993 Act (2) landlord & tenant, both residential and commercial including service charge disputes, breach of covenant and forfeiture claims and right to manage (3) real property often comprising adverse possession and s.84 restrictive covenant applications (4) construction particularly residential and NHBC building defects claims and some international work, particularly work from Gibraltar. Paul also regularly obtains instructions from various Commonwealth sources in respect of Privy Council matters.
He regularly appears in the First tier Tribunal, both property and land registration, in the Upper Tribunal (land chamber) and in the County Court. Because of the legally complex nature of his work significant points of law frequently arise that results in a significant amount of appellate work.
Recent important cases include Natt v Osman (on the validity of a non-compliant initial notice) and Quilter v HDL (the appropriate measure of damages to reflect the compensatory principle) in the Court of Appeal, Thevarajah v Riordan in the Supreme Court on relief from sanctions under CPR 3.9, and boundary/adverse possession claims in Frogday Ltd v Zielinski and London & Continental v Crew. Other examples of ongoing litigation include a multi-million pound challenge on behalf of lessees to the Trellick Tower external refurbishment by RBK&C and indemnity claims against a developer client by the NHBC covering 38 different projects.
- BSc (Civil Engineering) Nottingham University
- TECBAR (committee member and former editor of the Tecbar Review)
- Chancery Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- CLBM CLCC representative
- Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards: Barrister of the Year 2018.
- Quilter V Hodson Development Ltd
- Salekipour & Anor v Parmar
- Herskovic v Gratero Trading Limited
- Thevarajah v Riordan & Ors
- Curzon v Wolstenholme & Ors
- Natt & Anor v Osman & Anor
- Christoforou & Anor v Standard Apartments Ltd
- Salekipour v Parmar & Ors
- (1) Sabrina Soon Duck Park Kim (2) Jai Kyung Kim v Chasewood Park Residents Ltd
- Edwards & Walkden (Norfolk) Ltd & Ors v Mayor & Commonalty & Citizens of City of London
- Avocet Industrial Estates LLP v (1) Merol Ltd (2) Tudor Rose International Ltd
- O'Connor v Piccott & Anor (Jamaica)
- Goldeagle Properties Ltd v Thornbury Court Ltd
- James Martin Scobie & Ors v Fairview Land Ltd
- Hildron Finance Ltd v Greenhill Hampstead Ltd sub nom 1 - 138 Greenhill, Prince Arthur Road, London NW3 5TY (2008)
- Sumukan Ltd v. Commonwealth Secretariat
- Iggleden and Iggleden v. Fairview New Homes (Shooters Hill) Ltd
- Tavoulareas v. Lau and Anor
- Newman (t/a Newman Associates) v. Wenden Properties Ltd and S Newman Consultants (a firm)
- Earle v. Charalambous
- Monavon Construction Ltd v. Davenport and Davenport
- Dolphin Quays Development Ltd (in administrative receivership) v. Mills
- EQ Projects Ltd v. Alavi (t/a Merc London)
- R (on the application of Sinclair Gardens Investments (Kensington) Limited) v. Lands Tribunal, da Graca and O'Keefe
- Fisherman & Friends of the Sea v. Environment Management Authority and BP Trinidad & Tobago LLC
- Hodson Developments Ltd v. GTA Civils and Graham Whitehouse Practice
- Williams v. The State.
- Leasehold Enfranchisement - latest update
- Can they sell the Libraries? New Law Journal